Greek cookies are traditionally made during Christmas and are flavoured with rose water however our version uses Ouzo which we believe adds a noticeable taste attraction. Our version also includes walnuts which we find adds a texture element to these delights. These cookies melt in your mouth and are a perfect accompaniment with your coffee or tea.
The secret to these delights is to ensure you mix the butter and sugar (s
Ingredients for kourambiedes
- 250 grams butter at room temperature
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup almond slices (ground)
- ¼ walnuts (ground)
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 1 tablespoon vanillin sugar (vanilla sugar)
- ½ orange (zest only)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 cups self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking
Instructions for kourambiedes
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C and before baking, reduce oven to 180°C.
- Add butter to your mixing bowl and set mixer to high speed, mixing for 5 minutes.
- Set mixer to low speed and proceed to add sugar, setting mixer to high speed – mixing both the sugar and butter for 10 minutes (sugar needs to dissolve).
- Add 1 tablespoon vanillin sugar (vanilla sugar), 2 tablespoons of Ouzo and allowing mixing process to continue for a further 5 minutes before adding almond and walnut mixture – continuing mixing process for a further 5 minutes.
- Mixer set to low speed, adding the zest of half an orange and continue mixing process for further 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all flours including baking powder (sifting through) and then proceed to add half of the flour mixture into the cookie mixture, continuing the mixing process for a further 5 minutes.
- End the machine mixing process and proceed to add small amounts of the flour mixture to the cookie mixture, mixing contents by hand
. Themixture is ready when the cookie mixture comes together, becoming firm (not hard).
- Using a drinking glass cut out cookies, refer to our video link below for cutting technique demonstration, repeating this process.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until cookies have a faint golden tint, allowing cookies to cool down for 10 minutes before covering with icing sugar.
Tip for Traditional Greek cookies recipe (Kourabiedes)
Cookies (Kourabiedes) should be stored in a sealed container, doing so retains freshness.